Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows

I finished this one up last night at work. I will try not to give anything away, but I will say it’s a great read. J.K. does a great job of making up for missteps she took in the overly dull last volume. Although it drags a little bit around pages 100-250 or so, Deathly Hallows really works as a near perfect denouement to the franchise. Lots of character deaths, good and bad, many tragic, fill the pages, and pretty much every question about character motivations are answered. Ms. Rowling also does a beatiful job of tying the sub-titled subject matter of every other book in to this one.

That being said, DO NOT read this book if you have not read the other 6 books, as I would think much of it may prove heavily confusing. This book was written solely for the fans who have read volumes 1 through 6 (which is pretty much 75% of the world's regular readers at least) and it shows from the very beginning, as wizards shout out spells without J.K. ever stopping to explain them. It’s a minor nitpick at best, as really, I hope not too many individuals are silly enough to start a book franchise with Volume 7.

Anyway now I’m all Pottered up, I will have to go out and see Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix, a film which my wife really liked even though the critics did not. That being said, movie critics actually liked the Prisoner of Azkaban, which I cannot believe any self-respecting Potter reader could actually like. Such a butchery, but I digress.

If you are one of the people who haven’t read it yet, go pick up your copy of today. (And hey, look! I even provided you a link to it at Amazon, in case you want to support MetahumanPress.com while you are picking up your copy.)

No comments: