Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Comic Reviews: Hack/Slash, Invincible, Ultimates

re: hack/slash 9

I honestly don’t know why everyone isn’t buying this book. Easily one of the best comics coming out of the “indies” these days. Tim Seeley’s scripts are always excellent and the art has been top notch since issue one. I find the art particularly interesting, as though there is a certain level of cheesecake, it has been drawn by a female artist in all but one issue. Both Emily Stone and Rebekah Isaacs have done superb work on this series. I am amazed that they haven’t been snatched up by one of the big two like Stefano Caselli before them.

Anyway, the latest issue finished up the three chapter “Tub Club” story arc. Easily the most risqué issue so far, I quite enjoyed the interplay between the government agents, the slasher, and our heroes. All good stuff. I am wondering how much longer we can keep maiming the leads though without them being permanently altered in a negative way.

Sadly, I don’t have any hot pictures from myself or my wife to tie in to this missive. No one would want to see me in a corset anyway.




Re: Invincible 48

Ah, this issue reminds me of the good old days. So often I see books that try to hearken back to the days of 70’s Marvel and random guest spots, but I haven’t seen it done this well in quite a while. I love seeing the appearances of all of Kirkman’s other characters, and Ottley’s visuals on the Dynamo 5 are quite stunning. Wolf-Man looks even better than he does in his own book. But what the hell is wrong with Dragon’s head though?

As always, another good Invinci-read. Keep up the good work and I’ll keep reading.




Re: Ultimates 3 #3

I don’t quite understand the hate for this book so far. It does seem a bit slow moving for only being five issues, especially when compared to the slam-bang, blockbuster style of Millar and Hitch. But I think Jeph Loeb is ably putting together his own take on the Avengers mythos quite well. He has combined the classic Avengers concepts with the New Avengers to give the Ultimates his own special flare. I’m still not sure how I feel about the Ultimate Black Panther, he seems like a bland knockoff of Snake-Eyes so far. We’ll see though how the book goes. I pray we do get a cohesive ending to the five issues however. If this book proves to only be a five issue prologue to Loeb’s Ultimatum saga, not even the Madureira art will keep me from giving it an ill review.

Anyway, it’s not going to crack the internet in half or anything, but Ultimates 3 is still a good read. I recommend it, and trust me, I don’t do that often for mainstream superhero books.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Hack/Slash review!
TIM SEELEY