Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Living Legends 13 Notes

I labeled this chapter “World’s Finest” in my original draft. The Atoman/Black Owl team has certain parallels to the more famous team from the comics publisher, although I think they have both went in far different directions than the original World’s Finest. With the revelation of Zhuǎ zi, the Claw, as one of the series’ main antagonists, the first of the triumvirate of evil I have planned for the Legends stands revealed.

American Crusader is the first character I have used to be featured in the series to also have made an appearance in Terra Obscura by Alan Moore, Steve Moore, and Yanick Paquette. I came up with the concept behind Living Legends well before that work, but changed a couple cast members after my original reading of the first volume. But a few of the characters have origins just far too good to overlook... so you will see them pop up in these pages. (Besides, if I tried to avoid using any character not appearing in comic revivals, The Next Issue Project and Project: Superpowers would make that nearly impossible.)

As for Amazing Man, he will actually will play a part in Timeline in the near future as well. Keep your eye out for that sometime this year.

It took me awhile to come up with Isabella’s name sadly enough. I wracked my brain trying to come up with a good variation on Fear or Fearless with little or no luck. Most of the names either didn’t seem to work for the character or were already taken by another character somewhere else. Luckily, my Legion of Super-Heroes fandom kicked in, and I came up with the wondefully alliterative Fear Lass. We will see a lot more of her in upcoming months.

Keep your eyes on Robert/Lash. Just like Dominique, there is far more to him than meets the eye...

American Crusader image courtesy of International Superheros website. A really great site... check it out!

No comments: